Marie Antoinette Overlook

The Overlook sits approximately 500 feet above the North Branch of the Susquehanna River. It was originally built in 1930 as a part of the WPA (Works Progress Administration). In 2009 the overlook was restored to its former glory with the help of French Azilum, Inc. and Penn DOT, DCNR and Endless Mountains Heritage Region.The land below the Overlook now known as Asylum Township was originally called, 'Missicum,' or 'The Meadows' by the Iroquois who inhabited the land. The Overlook was built draw attention to the scenic view of  French Azilum. During the French Revolution, aristocrats fled persecution, and many  traveled to America. In 1793 the area below was designed and built as a new home for the refugees. Standing at the Overlook, one can see French Azilum Historic Site and the LaPorte house museum at the far right. 

Website Accessibility
French Azilum | frenchazilum.com Facebook Map
Home Contact